Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Move over, Mozart!

Young Child 4 students learning to play "Call & Response"
and "Question & Answer" patterns on their drums


Since I spent the last post raving about my Imagine That students, I must give equal due to my Kindermusik for the Young Child students. These students, ages 5-7, are all automatically invited to become Kindermusik educators and teach with my program as soon as they turn 18. They are amazing. Almost every single child has literally tried to take over teaching the class at some point and could probably do as well or better than I do in leading the class.

They know every activity we've ever done and make frequent requests. They know how to sing on key and play accurate rhythms. They know how to move to music, and they understand concepts like staccato, legato, microbeat, macrobeat, crescendo, decrescendo, and so much more. They know all about "Sebastian" and Beethoven, and the Year Two students even know about Mozart, Tchaikovsky, and David Holt. Most of all, they know how to make everything they do fun!


Fortunately, they are usually patient with me and allow me the illusion of thinking that I am their teacher, when of course, the opposite is true. They're very magnanimous that way.

No comments: